Quotes I find interesting, informative, enlightening or depressing. As I find them.
- Applying a Blunt, Imprecise tool assures that the pain digs as deeply as possible into the organism under inspection.
– Bruce Lerner 2013 in regard to useless IT surveys.
- Everything happens for a reason. SOMETIMES that reason is that you’r stupid and make bad choices.
– Marion G. Harmon, Ronin Games
- “we have normality, I repeat we have normality.” . . . . . “Anything you still can’t cope with is therefore your own problem. Please relax.”
– Trillian (Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy)’
- It’ s the principles NOT the practices that we have to keep.
– Geneva Overholser, 2009 repeated by Jay Rosen on Rebooting the News, #14, 6/22/2009
- “Your computer should listen to you, and not some coked up Hollywood fat cat thousands of miles away in Hollywood who decided what you can and can’t do with a movie”
– Cory Doctorow’
- Before you diagnose yourself with depression or low self-esteem, first make sure that you not, in fact, just surrounded by assholes,
– William Gibson
- “The EFF exists, so that your descendants will have the right to know, regardless of where they are on this planet and that if one of them want to say something, he will be able to or she will be able to, and if somebody else wants to hear what that person said, they will be able to, its as simple as that.
– John Perry Barlow’
- “To take what is after all a government granted monoploy, that’s intended to provide the minimum incentive necessary to produce the largest amount of work and bootstrap that into a right to control how devices are designed, how they’re used, what you can do in the privacy of your own home, your own private use of and reuse of material, is bizarre and completely out of step with the historical contours of copyright law”
– Cory Doctorow
- “To take what is after all a government granted monopoly, that’s intended to provide the minimum incentive necessary to produce the largest amount of work and bootstrap that into a right to control how devices are designed, how they’re used, what you can do in the privacy of your own home, your own private use of and reuse of material, is bizarre and completely out of step with the historical contours of copyright law”
– Cory Doctorow
- “DRM is technology that is used to make your computer take orders from someone other than you ……. The difference between a utopia and a distopia is whether we control the machines or the machines control us.”
– Cory Doctorow
- If you are not happy with the state of the world then ask yourself Whether in order to secure the future of your individual child or your grandchild, is it enough for you to just buy life insurance for your child or to take out a remainder trust or to pay your child’s tuition at a good school, or ask yourself whether perhaps you had better also do something for your child’s world as a whole, ask yourself am I wasting all my efforts on behalf of my ind. child, am I throwing away all that money on life ins. and tuition if I don’t also invest to make sure that my kids end up in a world worth living in and if you think that something does have to be done for yoru child’s world as whole then look yourself in the mirror tonite once again and ask yourself 2 question that italian/jewish partisen soldiers fighting behind nazi lines in ww2 used to ask themselves before taking important decisions …… if I don’t do this then who will do it and if I don’t do this now, then when will I do it.
– Jarod Diamond (Conservation International remarks – May 2007)
- “….dedicated to smacking the quacks, debunking the bunk, and shedding the light of critical thought and reason into the dark and scary world that is our every day lives.”
– Swoopy on the Skepticality Podcast (2/12/2006)
- To feel that one has a place in life solves half the problems of contentment.
– George Edward Woodberry in the Associated Press
- We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark; the real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light.
– evidently NOT Plato, but not bad
- “For every expert, there is an equal and opposite expert, but for every fact there is not necessarily an equal and opposite fact”, from Thomas Sowell’s 1995 book The Vision of the Anointed
- “I’m a rebel. I don’t play by anybody’s rules esp. my own which I don’t even have” – Matt Wallace, ISBW #299 2013-08-02
- “I burn little people for fuel” – Mur Lafferty, ISBW #299 2013-08-02
1,255 total views, 1 views today